Want to get more involved with the PTA?
Here are some roles we are looking to fill for this year. Please email [email protected] if you are interested!
PBIS/Celebration activities: Positive Behavior promotes making good decisions. The school has PBIS celebrations throughout the school year for the students. Volunteers are needed to work with the Deans of students with a range of activities.
History Day Coordinator: Help coordinate activities for National History Day and celebrations/competitions at GWMS.
Odyssey of the Mind Coordinator: Odyssey of the Mind is a creative problem solving competition that ACPS has offered in the past. There is a citywide coordinator but need someone to organize and coach an individual team.
Fund-raising Sub-Committees: Fundraising entails a lot of different activities – more than one person can do alone! Help out by agreeing to coordinate one of the following?
- Barnes and Noble Holiday Fundraiser (December): Barnes & Noble often hosts school fundraisers in the holiday season. This has the potential to be a community event as well, with students from the school’s various musical program performing. Coordinator would need to do all of the coordination with Barnes and Noble (complete paperwork, secure date, etc.), coordinate with orchestra, band or chorus, and manage a volunteer sign-up for wrapping station.
- Election Day Bake Sale: A coordinator is needed to organize and oversee a bake sale this year (Election Day Nov. 5). Help raise money for the GWMS PTA- and at the same time support your fellow community members with caffeine and other treats!
- Box Tops and Grocery Program: Not a large time commitment but well worth the effort. Help the PTA get linked to programs that help raise revenue both from when the groceries are purchased and when you enjoy them (win-win!)
- Restaurant Nights: A coordinator is needed to work with local restaurants to schedule evenings throughout the year where proceeds from the restaurant will be donated to the GWMS PTA.
- Spring2ACTion!: One or more individuals are needed to coordinate with ACT for Alexandria related to GWMS’s participation in the 2020 Spring2ACTion! program. This role is limited to just a few weeks of coordination and community outreach in the spring.
Special Events: Help support special initiatives sponsored through the PTA such as Career Day, the Power Plates program (a competition for healthy recipes) or a Citizenship Essay contest (this year’s theme: What is a good citizen?). How about celebrating Military Kids? Reach out to the PTA and let us know if you would like to help organize one (or all!) special events.
School Safety Liaison: Help make the school a safer place and act as the school safety liaison. Help get information out on bicycle and pedestrian safety. Support Bike to School day Oct. 2.
Grade level socials: Each grade level has a budget for a social. In years past, it has been a dance, but doesn’t have to be a dance. Each grade can establish a committee to create an event that the students would enjoy. The events are in late winter/spring. Volunteers are needed to assist in logistical planning with grade level contacts and students, and needed to man the events from set up to clean up. Feel your party planning blood boiling? Sign up to help coordinate the 6th, 7th, or 8th grade socials in late May or June 2020!
8th Grade Picnic/Promotion: These are two separate events. The picnic is held during school hours and provides the students with lunch as well as activities. Volunteers are needed for both events. The picnic will need set up and clean up as well as manning stations during the event. For the 8th grade promotion, volunteers are needed to help with a light reception following the ceremony.
Nominating Committee: Each year a nominating committee is formed to identify potential candidates for the next year’s PTA executive committee. Come help identify people to ensure that the entire GWMS community is reflected!
By-Law Committee: This year the GWMS will have to renew its bylaws. Interested in reviewing the by-laws and making suggestions? Join the committee and set the stage for future GWMS PTAs!
Social Media: Help with making information more accessible, updating the website, etc.
Other: Have an activity you think would be a good fit for the GW community and are willing to lead? Or want to support another initiative already in the works? Let us know! Some other efforts already in the works and for whom we already have committee leads include the following:
- Teacher/Staff Grants
- Facilities Liaison
- Spelling Bee
- Community Partners
- TC Sports Liaison